A schoolboy died after taking Spice with a friend at a sleepover, an inquest heard. Luke Pennington, 14, suffered a ‘severe reaction’ immediately after taking the drug at a house in Heald Green in Stockport on March 17.
An inquest opening at Stockport Coroner’s Court heard that Luke and a group of friends had bought the substance earlier that evening.
Luke, from Bramhall, had taken it first, followed by a friend, a senior police officer heard.
Paramedics were called to the house when Luke and his friend fell ill. The pair were then rushed to Wythenshawe Hospital.
Rita Wilkinson, a senior police officer at GMP giving evidence at the inquest opening on Thursday, said: “Luke was with some friends at a sleepover.
“They had purchased some Spice and that was taken. Luke had taken it first followed by one of his friends.
“Luke had a severe reaction immediately after and paramedics were called.”
Luke and his friend were taken to Wythenshawe Hospital after falling ill. Luke was then taken to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool.
He died at 1.55am on Sunday, March 18, in the hospital’s intensive care unit.
The youngster’s death is being treated as ‘unascertained’ until histology and toxicology reports have been completed, the court heard.
Luke, who attended St James Catholic High School in Cheadle Hulme, was described by his teachers as ‘popular and well-liked’.
St James’ Headteacher Tim Beesley said earlier this month: “Our thoughts, prayers and sympathy go out to his family and friends at this very difficult time.
“We are offering support for any of our students who have been affected by his death, particularly those who knew him, as he was a very popular and well-liked member of our school community.”
GMP arrested a 16-year-old boy on suspicion of possession with intent to supply Class A drugs on March 21. The teen was released on bail pending further enquiries.
Assistant coroner for south Manchester Andrew Bridgman set a date for a full inquest on October 3.