3,600 Cheadle voters sign up to support EU referendum campaign
The People’s Pledge now has more voters signed up in Cheadle supporting an EU referendum than local MP Mark Hunter has majority. More than 3,600 people have now registered their support for The People’s Pledge whereas Mark Hunter MP only holds his seat in Parliament by 3,272 votes.
Across the two constituencies Cheadle and Hazel Grove, more than 6,200 people have signed The People’s Pledge and thousands have already registered to participate in the referendum who would not have received a ballot paper automatically.
Polls close for the local EU referendum in Cheadle and Hazel Grove at 5pm Thursday, 9 August 2012.
Signs are encouraging for a good turnout although that will not be known until about 5.30pm on Thursday. In the meantime the number of local electors having signed The People’s Pledge is an astounding achievement for the campaign.
Mark Seddon, National Spokesperson for The People’s Pledge, said:
“So far, both Mark Hunter MP, and Andrew Stunell MP, have studiously ignored the People’s Pledge. I suspect that each of them is far too good a politician to ignore the 6,200 electors whom so far support a referendum on the European Union. We expect this number to increase significantly in the next few weeks as the campaign reaches its conclusion in early August.”
1. The People’s Pledge is the campaign for a national referendum on Britain’s membership of the European Union. It draws support from all political parties and across the spectrum of opinion on the UK’s membership of the EU.
2. The People’s Pledge Thurrock campaign was held from 11 February to 5 April. The turnout was 30.4% of which 13,111 (89.9%) voted to agree with a referendum, and 1,479 (10.1%) people voted to disagree. Turnout in the Thurrock council elections a month later was 24.6%.
3. 79 MPs nationally have signed up to the campaign.
4. Invitations to MPs to debate their EU referendum stance at their convenience were both emailed, and sent first class post on Monday 25th June. So far we have received no response.
5. Mark Seddon is a former member of Labour’s National Executive Committee (NEC) and contested the Buckingham Constituency at the 2001 General election.
6. Chris Bruni-Lowe, Campaign Director of The People’s Pledge, can be contacted on 07723 540114 or firstname.lastname@example.org.